What's black and white and into weird hippie shit these days? This girl. The new year for me has been all about focusing on what brings me joy (hello, Marie Kondo!)
Focusing on self-improvement has meant daily meditation, a healthier diet and for me, it also means focusing on the spaces where you spend the most time. I don't have a huge budget to completely overhaul my space. But I can choose to bring in things that make me happy and declutter and get rid of things that don't bring me joy (honestly, I had no intention of making this post about the Kondo method but I see now, how integral this is to what I'm trying to say). I know I am a complete stereotype for trying to get my life together in January, but if you're going to be inspired by something, it might as well be because of the fresh start to a new year.
This is a quick round up of some things that I'm into right now, and what's inspiring me for 2018.
- Succulents: Any type of green plant, really. The only problem is that I have a black thumb. I seriously kill everything or my cats try to eat them. Solution: faux succulents. They look good and I can't kill them!
- Black and white pillows: I've replaced all my colorful ones with soothing stripes, African mudcloth and some really cool round mandala pillows. This plus soft white throws have made a huge difference in my living room vibes.
- Crystals: I love reading about the different properties that crystals have. I've always adored them for their physical beauty but I'm starting to appreciate them for their metaphysical properties as well. I can't be the only one. It helps that with all of my jewelry making I have access to lots of the gorgeous stones. Lately I've been into howlite and moonstone. Would anyone else be interested in learning more about what different crystals are said to do? I'm thinking about going into this deeper.
- Things that smell good: I've never been one for candles or perfume and oils, but lately I can't get enough of the stuff! My favorite candle is the Capri Blue Volcano candle and I've been diffusing lavender and tea tree oils at work.
- The moon and stars: I've always been enamored by the night sky. Constellations, the moon, the concept of the universe. All of it. I love the design trends I've been seeing lately with representations of the moon, planets and astrology. I am a Sagittarius and I love my sign--don't even get me started on how scary accurate my horoscope has been lately!
- Face masks: I know, I know. I'm a complete stereotype. But who doesn't feel like they can conquer the world with a glass of wine and a face mask? I'm into it, don't stop me.
- Water: You're into wa...you're into water? Hear me out. I haven't been doing dry January like a lot of people (girl needs her wine) but I have been hydrating! I've been drinking my 64 oz. per day and it makes a huge difference, blah blah blah... I can hear myself boring you. The thing I wanted to put on this list is the thing that holds water- my Corkcicle bottle! Mine is actually bright blue, not the cool matte black one in the picture. But I bring it to work every day and it keeps my water icy cold- ALL DAY LONG. I literally left it in the car overnight and it was still cold the next day. Brilliant, you need one.